Thursday, June 28, 2012

Pulling the Past to the Present

I feel like so much has happened since my last post and while I'd love to share all the details, tonight, I will just share one thought.

About a month ago, the YMJA Israel Team arrived. As you may recall, I wrote about our time with them here in the Haifa area. That weekend left me feeling a mix of emotions. As the weekends moved forward, I felt like I was able to process my emotional thoughts in small bits, which led me to some good internal conclusions. Today, I feel like a new "dimension" to those emotions has errupted again. Why? All because of Facebook!

The YMJA Team just returned to their respective hometowns and many of the team members have posted hundreds of photos, capturing all the incredible moments of their time. It's insane that I'm glued to these photos and looking through hundreds over several hours. Why? Because I remember my own experience. It was the trip that changed my life and led me to my current permanent spot, as an Israeli citizen!

So, here were the emotions that came from such photographic viewings:

The Good: "Awhh, yes, I remember doing __________. They look like they are having such a blast! Wow, I have to go there sometime! We took some of those exact same poses! Hehe, they look so funny!" etc....

The Bad: "Where did time go? How has 9 years passed since our own trip? I really miss our trip and wish I could go back in time to do some things again. Why can't I go on a tour? I wish I could have spent more time with the people on this trip. Why has time passed so quickly?!" etc...

The Result: Time is precious. I need to appreciate people, places and events more. I love all the things in my present day life and feel like I waited a life time to get here, but now that I'm here, it's like I'm dreaming of the next step. Seeing the group's pictures has reminded me to WAIT, SLOW DOWN, and STOP to enjoy the moment. I can't go backwards, only forwards. Turning 30 seems so close and that scares me a tad. Life is fragile, precious and moves quickly. In seeing the group, I saw myself, and this was a good reflection of time.

Speaking of time, Shabbat is coming and my former Rabbi use to say, "Shabbat is like an island in time." I like that! Shabbat Shalom!