Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Driving Lesson #1

I could jump for joy right now, as I finished my first driving lesson with my Israeli Instructor, Sharon (pronounced - Sh-ron). I was so nervous this morning and then on top of everything, Sharon calls me at 8:50am to see if we could change our 10am meeting to 9:00am. AHHH! I settled for 9:30am seeing that I was not ready in the least bit. So, I quickly got myself together and ran out the door at 9:30.

I found Sharon parked in his red car - looked like a Ford Taurus, but no sure ... right outside our driveway. In Israel, you learn on the Driving Instructor's car, which has a big advertising cone on top with the Hebrew letter, Lamed (ל) to show that someone is learning. This REALLY helps, as everyone else on the road has just the slightest bit more patience with those learning how to drive or taking their driving test.

When I got in the car, Sharon was very nice and told me right away that we could start. There was another guy in the backseat, who I found out later was taking his test right after me. I quickly adjusted all the mirrors, my seat and put on my prescription sunglasses because it's so bright in Israel right now due to summertime.

We spent the majority of the time going around the neighborhoods in my town and those around me. At the end, Sharon had me drive up to the Industrial Area where there is a Navy Technical School. I was the most nervous on this part of our journey, as I had not really drove in this area with Yonatan when we would practice. This area is also on the way to downtown Haifa, so for a split second, I thought we might be going into the downtown part. That would have been a nightmare for sure!

At the end, Sharon said to me, "You know how to drive. You just need to learn the signs more." I was happy that he felt comfortable with my driving skills. He then explained to me for the second time where to go to get the medical form that I need to turn into the Department of Transportation. In Israel, one must have their eyes checked as well as a simple exam with one's family doctor as part of the driving process. After I have these things, Sharon wants me to call him again and we'll go for another 1-2 lessons before he sets me up to take the exam.

Here are things I found funny about my experience today:

  • When I get in the car, the air is blowing, the radio is on full blast and Sharon is making phone calls while I'm starting to drive
  • During my first few minutes in the car, Sharon is explaining to me where I must go to get the medical forms. He is showing me an example form, while I am suppose to be driving.
  • About 15 minutes into driving, he directs me to the Police Station. Evidently, behind this station, there is place for driving instructors to meet. Sharon tells me to park while he gets out the car and talks with other guys for about 10 minutes. I have no idea what's going on. I ask the guy in the backseat, in Hebrew, why we are here, but he too doesn't know. Grrrr
  • Once, Sharon put on his breaks (he has a break pedal on his side) to stop me, as he was making a point that you must come to a full stop or I will fail. Okay, got the point!
  • The FUNNIEST OF ALL - At the end of my session, we park in the parking lot of the technical school. Another Driving Instructor comes up with his student in this MASSIVE TRUCK - like the type that pulls other large objects behind it. Sharon then tells me that we are going to switch cars, so that the other guy in our car can take the driving test in Sharon's car with this new Driving Instructor. Thus, I go with Sharon into this MASSIVE TRUCK - I had to take two steps just to get inside. THEN, Sharon has a hard time driving this beast since it's a stick shift. It was a crazy ride back!
There you go folks. My first driving lesson experience in Israel. Let's the process begin!

2 comments:

Sarah F. said...

Comments are allowed! Woohoo! :)
I know this happened over a month ago, but I've been a blog-reader-slacker, so I'm trying to catch up...

Congrats on a great first driving lesson. Haha, took me back to driver's ed. in high school. I'd be so nervous driving in Israel. Oh wait, I WAS so nervous driving in Israel! You know, as far as driving a tractor about 100 feet on a moshav is concerned. ;) I really enjoyed how you recounted the humor in your situation.

Sarah F. said...

Oh man... I think I might have deleted my own comment. If this one shows up after another, feel free to delete it. Now all my excitement about being able to comment on your posts will not shine through as much as it did in my 1st comment attempt. Oh well... enough about me!

Hooray for Blair learning to drive in Israel! Haha, what a great way to learn, with your instructor blaring music and trying to have you read forms while driving. Thanks for relating the humor of the situation. Took me back to "driving" that tractor a few hundred feet on the artichoke moshav all those years ago!